Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Monday 6 February 2017

Charlie Parker on Dial

If you are a long-time reader of the Washminster post, you'll know that I have a love of jazz. One of the attractions of living in Milton Keynes is The Stables - a venue set up by Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine. Last night I treated myself to a visit - to see 'Charlie Parker On Dial'

In 1946 and 1947 Parker made a number of recordings on the Dial Label. The evening involved Alex Webb (who was also on the piano) giving us the background to those recordings. The band were good - with Nathaniel Facey on the alto sax and Steve Fishwick on trumpet. There were some superb vocals from Vimala Rowe. I recommend the show.

Alex finished by recommending that the audience listen to the original recordings - I will be getting out my "Bird" CDs!



There's more jazz coming up at the Stables. Next Sunday the Georgina Jackson Quartet are playing at the "Sunday Sessions" which kick off at 11.30am. On Sunday 18th, there is an evening dedicated to Tubby Hayes.  The first half will see a screening of a film about Hayes - the second well see the Simon Spillett Quartet play some of the music associated with him.